Saturday, September 6, 2008

Amy Goodman was arrested

... I know it's already old hat, but I'm still outraged about it. And amazed at how quickly it becomes old news. I like this article because it reminds us how, not so long ago, when these same sorts of things took place, there was massive outrage. Now the same people who were outraged then are doing it to their peers and a whole other generation--and no one seems to notice or care. "The whole world is watching" we used to chant. This day, the whole world is watching American Idol.

http://www.truthout.org/article/st-pauls-police-protest-press

******

Ari wakes up from his nap today begging to be nursed. It is so hard to say no. I tell him he will have homemade mushroom barley soup for lunch; this does not lure him. He turns his whole body away from me and sobs. I pat his back and stare at his head; at the whorls of his hair. Such a heartwrenchingly beautiful pattern his hair makes, swirling into itself.

He turns back and looks at me; checks to see if I am looking at him. Of course I am. I give him a weak smile. He does not smile back. Turns away again. Quiets himself. The next time he turns around, he is ready for soup.

No comments: