Monday, September 1, 2008

Gustav is proof

Okay, so Palin's teenage daughter is pregnant, what of it? What difference does it make to the fact that Palin is scarcely more qualified to be president of the united states in the somewhat likely event that John McCain could croak if he was elected to the office than said teenage daughter? I must say, with apologies to the people I love who are gleefully chirping about this news, that it does not seem highly relevant to me; no indication about her values or her abilities or anything else.

What I am happy about is that Gustav seems to have eclipsed the Republican convention, all without seemingly doing much damage respective life & limb, in New Orleans at any rate. At least I hope so. If so, it would seem to prove once and for all that G-d frowns upon Republicans. Something most of us already realize.

Ari starts school tomorrow. We spent the day planning and organizing and (I hope soon) cooking. Andi and I (with Ari on the back) biked the different routes to where I'll be doing my internship today. It's been a busy-last-day-of summer. I keep humming tunes that don't quite fit in terms of words and yet still seem to fit the mood. Like Abba's: "Do you recall our last summer....." I always make up new words to these songs. "Do you realize it's our last day of summer...." Some of them fit superbly and others much less so but regardless I quickly forget them. Today when we were biking I sang to Ari about having him on the bike to the tune of Woody Guthrie's, "Take you riding in the car car" My version was something like: "Take you riding on my bike, bike, take you whenever you like like, it's not just you on your trike trike, we're together on the bike, bike." Etc. He would prod me on my back and demand, "more more." Most of the words were ripped past by the wind and startling pedestrians, but this is all part of what we do for love.

Today Ari could not stop talking about his cousins, "Okar" and "Elly." For right now they have trumped "Ahno" and "Go-Go" and "Aiko"--his usual talking points.

No comments: